Báró Kohner Adolf gyüjteménye (Collection of Adolf Kohner) Auction catalogue
Budapest: Légrády Testvérek Nyomdai Műintézete, 1934. In original wrappers. 61 p. + LVIII p. / Very good conditon. Stain on the cover.
Baron Kohner was famous for his role as an art collector and patron of the arts in Hungary. In 1902 he became president of the Hungarian National Art Association. In the same year he founded the artists’ colony in Szolnok, Hungary. His private collection was focused on the paintings of the French impressionistic and post-impressionistic periods. Among the artists represented in his collection were Théodore Géricault, Eugène Delacroix, Honoré Daumier, painters of the Barbizon school such as Jean-Baptiste-Camille Corot, Jean-François Millet, Antoine Chintreuil, Gustave Courbet, Édouard Manet, Berthe Morisot, Claude Monet, Pierre-Auguste Renoir, Paul Cézanne, Alfred Sisley, Paul Gauguin and Pierre Puvis de Chavannes. The collection also included works from other periods such as Nuns” by Alessandro Magnasco and several paintings by John Constable and Francisco Goya. Leading Hungarian artists were also represented in his collection. These included Meszoly Geza, Laszlo Paal and Mihály Munkácsy and painters of the Hungarian artists' colonies Nagybanya and Szolnok. Many of the paintings were subsequently donated by Kohner to the Art Gallery of the National Museum of Hungary.